Thursday, July 1, 2010

All in the Name of Jesus

Over the last week, I have been engrossed with a new book.

It's a hard book to read, but it is one that has filled me with blessings.

I was doing a Bible study a couple of months back, and the writer suggested that in addition to doing the Bible study, each night he read from Foxe's Christian Martyrs a story about one martyr. I thought to myself then, wow, that is a fantastic idea. And that's all it ended up being at the time .. just an idea. I looked online for the book, found it and just never placed the order. Well, last week I was meeting a friend in Spartanburg for dinner and had to run by Christian Supply to grab some stuff. As I am walking towards the back, Foxe's Christian Martyrs catches my eye! Not in its usual place, I am sure- and not by accident.

A week and many chapters later - I am in awe. I can't put into words what God has laid on my heart with each story. People who were tortured beyond comprehension, and ultimately killed- all because of one name. Can you fathom it? Though Jesus warned in Mark "You will be hated by all for My name's sake" - He also promised "He who endures to the end shall be saved."

As I was getting ready this morning, I began to think about my blog post today. I thought Lord, what would you have me share with whoever you have reading this blog? He immediately turned my attention to my night stand, where my book stays. I don't want to share too much from the book, though there are numerous accounts, but there was one story about a lady, a mother, that continues to circulate in my mind.

From Foxe's Christian Martyrs . .

" One of these was Perpetua, a married lady twenty-six years old with a baby at her breast. On being taken before the proconsul Minutius, Perpetua was commanded to sacrifice to the idols. Refusing to do so, she was put in a dark dungeon and deprived of her child; but two of her keepers, Tertius and Pomponius, allowed her out in the fresh air several hours a day, during which time she was permitted to nurse her child. Finally the Christians were summoned to appear before the judge and urged to deny their Lord, but all remained firm. When Perpetua's turn came, her father suddenly appeared, carrying her infant in his arms, and begged to save her own life for the sake of her child. Even the judge seemed to be moved. "Spare the gray hairs of your father," he said. "Spare your child. Offer sacrifice for the welfare of the emperor. " Perpetua answered, "I will not sacrifice." "Are you a Christian?" demanded Hilarianus, the judge. "I am a Christian" was her answer. Perpetua and all other Christians tried with her that day were ordered killed by wild beasts as a show for the crowd on the next holiday. They entered the place of execution clad in the simplest of robes, Perpetua singing a hymn of triumph. The men were to be torn to pieces by leopards and bears. Perpetua and a young woman named Felicitas were hung up in nets, at first naked, but the crowd demanded that they should be allowed their clothing. When they were again returned to the arena, a bull was let loose on them. Felicitas fell, seriously wounded. Perpetua was tossed, her loose robe torn and her hair falling loose, but she hastened to the side of the dying Felicitas and gently raised her from the ground. When the bull refused to attack them again, they were dragged out of the arena, to the disappointment of the crowd, which wanted to see their deaths. Finally brought back to be killed by gladiators, Perpetua was assigned to a trembling young man who stabbed her weakly several times, not being used to such scenes of violence. When she saw how upset the young man was, Perpetua guided his sword to a vital area and died."

All in the sweet, Holy Name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment