Thursday, August 5, 2010

What a week! Trying to get back in the swing of things ..(wishing I still had my toes in the sand!)

I can't tell you how many times I have sat down to update since Saturday. But, I knew I wasn't ready. Though God made some things very clear to me last week, He wasn't finished. He still isn't!

For weeks I have thought about the rich young ruler. I don't even remember how I got to him. Like you, I have read the story lots of times. This time was different. I was in the book of Mark, and it was like reading a story for the first time. How I love that feeling! It's special- a time God gives you for new understanding, new meaning. As the Holy Spirit stirred inside me with each word I read, I knew God was up to something.

The rich young ruler runs to Jesus as He is traveling and asks Him ,"What shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" The Lord answered, "You know the commandments . . ." and goes into all of the do not's (commit adultery, murder, steal, bear false witness, defraud- honor your father and mother). I love this about our Lord, ya'll. He knew exactly what was on the heart of that young man. He knew what his response would be, "Teacher, all of these things I have kept from my youth," he replied. Of course he had. Jesus knew that. He also knew what he lacked. The Word says that Jesus looked at him, loved him, and said "One thing you lack. Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow me." But the young man was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (Mark 10:17-22)

The Lord still loved him, though He knew what He would choose. He knew that the cost of discipleship would be too great for the young man. After all, he had all of these great possessions . . all of this . . stuff. And I begin to try to put a face on that young man. A face that turned from God Himself, sad, because all the things in his life were too great to give up to follow Jesus. I still have chills. I began to question, Lord- in what ways have I turned from You? What have I valued above You? I have given my heart to You, my soul, my life- but have I surrendered all control? Am I fine with You using my life for Your glory, even if that means I may suffer, I may be out of my comfort zone, I may not lead the life I thought I would? And as I was in Experiencing God later that week, He said to me, as it was typed in the workbook- You were created for eternity, not for time. Wow. Also, Isaiah 55:8, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways." And finally, Deuteronomy 30:20 "He is your life."

Yes, He is. He is my life so much so that He chose me, out of this world, to redeem. He bore my sin and death. But He also desires to use me- to bring glory to His great and mighty name. That is my purpose here. Will I let Him use me? You bet I will. Whatever the means. In whatever way.

I pray that you will too.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, what a beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing your heart and all that God is speaking to you as you touch our hearts.....yes, Lord...anything for You! I am walking that path right now. I often think that is why God said, "enter by the narrow gate...." as some just don't want to leave it all to follow Him.

    God is using you for His glory!

    Sorry your feet our out of the sand....I wish mine were back in there too!

    ReplyDelete